Make sweet potato pudding
Sweet potato pudding is a traditional dish found throughout the Caribbean. Caribbean sweet potatoes are white, but if you can’t get white ones use orange instead.
- 900g sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 200g plain flour
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 60g desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g tin coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Grease a medium baking dish.
2. Put the grated sweet potato, flour, sugar, desiccated coconut, spices and salt into a bowl. Mix to combine.
3. Add the coconut milk and vanilla extract, pouring slowly and mixing as you go. Add the raisins and mix until fully combined.
4. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish or tin.
5. Bake for 60-75 minutes. The pudding is ready when it has a firm crust on top and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool a little, then dust with icing sugar and serve warm.