Make stained glass cog cookies
Makes 24-30 cookies
You will need:
- 150g butter, softened
- 100g muscovado sugar
- 1 egg
- 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pack boiled coloured sweets
1. Use an electric whisk to whisk together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy. Add the egg and mix together.
2. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, then add the vanilla extract. Mix together until you have a biscuit dough. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 3mm thick. Use a large round cookie cutter to cut out your biscuit shapes and place on the lined baking tray. Use a smaller round cookie cutter to cut out the centre of each biscuit. Then use a knife or the tip of a spoon to cut out the cog shapes.
5. Place the boiled sweets into a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into fine grains.
6. Sprinkle the boiled sweet grains into each hole.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown and the sweets are melted. Remove from the oven and allow the melted sweets to harden on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.