Serves 6. Delicious served with a spicy chilli!
You will need:
1 onion, diced
140g plain flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 x 284ml cartons buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 230C. Thoroughly grease a 23cm cake tin.
2. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Put the polenta, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
4. Put the buttermilk and eggs in a second bowl and beat together, then add the buttery onions.
5. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out, slice and serve warm.