You will need...
- 225g butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 200g ground almonds
- 125g plain flour
- Icing sugar (to dust)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 23cm round cake tin.
- Put the butter and caster sugar in a bowl. Use a handheld mixer to beat until light and fluffy.
- Separate the eggs and set aside the egg whites – you will need these later. Add the egg yolks to the butter mixture and beat well to combine.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and stir to combine. Add the almonds and stir again.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they make stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Tip the cake mixture into your prepared tin and smooth the top with a spatula or knife.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, then remove from the tin and dust with icing sugar.