This fun recipe makes 12-15 doughnuts that will be a sure-fire hit with kids and adults alike.
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 50g vegetable oil
- 100g granulated sugar
- 70g soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 320g plain flour
- 230ml milk
- Dark chocolate (melted)
- White chocolate (melted)
- Green fondant icing
- Red writing icing
- Red Smarties
- Mini pretzels
- Candy eyes
Making the doughnuts step-by-step
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly grease a doughnut tin if you have one. A small cupcake tray will also work, although the shape of your doughnuts will be different.
2. Put the butter, oil and both sugars in a large bowl and use a handheld mixer to beat until smooth. Add the eggs and beat until fully combined.
3. Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
4. Gradually stir in the flour, alternating each spoon with some of the milk, until everything is fully combined.
5. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared tray. If you are using a cupcake tray, fill each hole so that it is about ¾ full. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the doughnuts are pale golden brown. To check they are cooked, insert a skewer into one of the doughnuts – if it comes out clean, they are ready.
6. Turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Decorating the doughnuts
The Christmas puddings
- Dip one side of a cooled doughnut in melted dark chocolate.
- Place in the fridge until the chocolate is completely set, then spoon melted white chocolate over one half. Allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll out the green fondant icing and cut into small diamond shapes.
- When the white chocolate is set but still slightly soft, add two green diamonds and a blob of red icing to make holly.
- Dip one side of a cooled doughnut in melted dark chocolate. Allow to set for 10 minutes.
- When the chocolate is set but still slightly soft, add two half pretzels for antlers, two candy eyes and a red Smartie nose.