All aboard The Silver Arrow
We hope you enjoy these additional ideas and activities related to the brilliant The Silver Arrow by Lev Grossman. Have you read it yet? We'd love to know what you thought of it.
- How would you describe Kate?
- Do you think Kate was right to write the letter to her uncle? Why or why not?
- Do you think Kate treats her brother fairly? Why or why not?
- Which was your favourite character in the book?
- What kind of train cars would you add to the Silver Arrow? (We like the sound of Kate’s library car!)
- Where do you think Kate and Tom will travel to next on the Silver Arrow?
- Do you enjoy riding on trains? Why or why not?
The longest train that ever operated was a whopping 7.35km in length. It was made up of 682 cars pushed by 8 powerful locomotives. It travelled 275km carrying iron ore across Western Australia in June 2001.
Makes 8 snakes
You will need:
- 30g butter
- 180g mini marshmallows
- 320g Rice Krispies
- 16 blueberries
- 1/2 fruit roll
- Peanut butter
- Jelly sweets or Smarties to decorate
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the marshmallows and cook gently until they are completed melted, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the Rice Krispies. Mix together until the Rice Krispies are well coated.
- Using wet hands (as the mixture will be very sticky), divide the mixture into 8 portions and shape into snakes.
- Add two blueberries to each snake for eyes and cut the fruit roll into pieces for the tongues.
- Use the peanut butter to stick sweets to your snake and decorate however you like!
b. The swift express
c. The power train
d. The bullet train
Why not have a go at drawing this cute pangolin?
This cardboard electric train is amazing! Could you have a go at making it at home?
Polar bears are in fact black, not white. Their fur is translucent and appears white because it reflects light, while their black skin allows them to absorb more sunlight and stay warm.
Approximately how many species of snake are there on the planet?a. 50
Can you create an origami polar bear following these instructions?
Quick Quiz Answers:
1. The bullet train