Make semolina cake
This sticky sweet cake is popular in the Middle East and usually served with a shot of strong coffee – but is just as delicious on its own!
For the cake:
- 250g semolina
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 120g butter, melted
- 250g plain yogurt
- 50g flaked almonds
For the syrup:
- 300g caster sugar
- 250ml water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp rosewater or almond extract (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20cm square baking tin.
2. Put the semolina, sugar and baking soda in a large bowl and mix together.
3. Add the butter and mix well, then add the yogurt and mix until fully combined..
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Use a knife to cut diamond shapes into the batter. Sprinkle flaked almonds over the top of each diamond.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
6. To make the syrup, put all the ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 7-10 minutes until the syrup is reduced and will coat the back of a spoon.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and recut the diamond shapes. Pour the syrup over the cake while it is still hot and leave to soak for 20-30 minutes before serving.