Makes 12 buns
- 400g plain flour
- 14g instant yeast
- 8g salt
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 230ml milk
- 10g sugar
- 1/2 lemon, zest only
- 400g raisins
1. Put the raisins in a bowl, cover with warm water and soak for 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water and set aside to dry.
2. Put the flour, yeast, salt, butter, egg yolk, sugar, lemon zest and 165ml milk in a large bowl and mix together. Gradually add the rest of the milk and knead into a soft dough.
3. Continue kneading the dough for 15 minutes, then leave to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Roll the raisins lightly in a little flour, then add them to the bowl with your dough. Use your hands to ‘pinch’ the raisins into the dough until they are evenly distributed.
5. Shape the dough into a ball, cover the bowl and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
6. Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and shape into rolls. Leave to rest for a further 10 minutes.
7. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Put the rolls onto the prepared baking tray, cover and leave to proof for 1-1.5 hours. When you think they have risen enough, use your finger to make a small dent in the dough. If the dent remains, they are ready to bake.