You will need:
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g plain flour
- 3 medium or 6 small plums, destoned
- 30g butter
- 80g breadcrumbs
- 30g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Peel the potatoes, chop into chunks and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Cook for 20-25 minutes until soft. Drain, return to the pan and mash. Set aside to cool.
2. Put the cooled mashed potato, egg and salt in a large bowl. Mix until combined, then add the flour and mix again until you have a soft dough.
3. Cover the dough with cling film and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to approximately 8mm thickness. Cut into 6 evenly sized rectangles.
5. Put a plum in one half of each rectangle. Depending on the size of your plums, you may need to halve or quarter them first. Fold the rectangle in half and press out all the air. Crimp the edges to seal completely
6. Put a large pan of salted water on the hob and bring to the boil.
7. Carefully drop the dumplings one at a time into the boiling water. Cook for 30 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, put the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Once melted, add the breadcrumbs and cook gently until brown. Set aside.
9. Use a slotted spoon carefully to remove the dumplings from the water and place in a colander to drain.
10. Put the frying pan back on the hob over a low heat. Add the dumplings and coat them in the breadcrumbs.
11. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
12. Transfer the dumplings to a plate, sprinkle them with the cinnamon sugar.
13. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.