Make a malt loaf
You will need...
- sunflower oil for greasing
- 75ml hot black tea
- 85g malt extract*, plus extra for glazing
- 45g dark muscovado sugar
- 150g mixed dried fruit (or your own combination of dried fruits)
- 1 large egg
- 125g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
*You may find malt extract in the baking section of your supermarket. If not, try the health food section or a specialist health food shop.
- Heat the oven to 130C fan.
- Grease a 450g loaf tin and line it with baking paper.
- Put the malt, sugar and dried fruit in a bowl, then mix in the tea.
- Beat the egg and stir that into the mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Work quickly to stir in all the flour and pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until firm and well risen.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before carefully turning out onto a wire rack.
- Brush a thin coating of malt over the top of the loaf while it’s still warm to create a glaze.
9. Best served sliced and buttered. Any uneaten loaf can be wrapped and stored for up to 5 days.