The best kids' subscription box for young readers in the UK
A fantastic children’s book club experience for 5 to 14-year-olds, delivered to your door every month
- Venture beyond the bestseller list, celebrity authors and playground favourites with a carefully curated age-appropriate book each month.
- Every book is paired with activity ideas, bursting with fun and helping children connect more deeply with what they’ve read.
- Subscribers eagerly await the arrival of each new box which is addressed to them personally – reinforcing the idea that reading is exciting and enjoyable rather than a chore.
Spend time enjoying books rather than sourcing them - relax knowing that great books from a range of authors, genres and perspectives will be popping through the letterbox!
From £39.95 for 3 months
Supercharge the kids' love of reading with our monthly subscription box
Whether snuggled under bedcovers or curled in a lap, being captured and transported by a story is a magical experience that’s hard to beat.
Learning to read requires phonics and repetition. Learning to be a reader is about finding the magic and excitement of great books and getting into the habit of reading regularly – which is where our book club comes in.
As our own children reached school-age we realised that nurturing their love of reading would take more effort than ever before - there are so many things competing for our 21st-century children’s time and attention! So our mission is to make it easy for other parents to help their children grow into lifelong readers by providing a book club experience by post for the whole family to enjoy.
What our happy customers are saying...
"I love being introduced to new books and authors for my son"
"We love the steady flow of books that we wouldn't have found ourselves, and books that my son wouldn't necessarily have chosen"
"My daughter loves the jokes in the packs. They have become a real highlight for her and the first thing she looks for"
- Each letterbox-friendly parcel contains a brilliant chapter book to keep, fun-filled activity ideas to enjoy plus stickers and a review card.
A welcome pack (containing an introductory guide, bookish goodies and a handy envelope to keep everything in) will be dispatched immediately. Your first book will arrive in the middle of the month after you subscribe (unless you choose to delay it during checkout).
- We don’t reveal which books we’ve chosen in advance – our subscribers are always the first to enjoy them! The only exception being our Macaw subscribers who are offered the choice between two books on the 1st of each month.
- Subscribers also have access to an exclusive monthly competition to win a fabulous prize from our publisher partners.
- Every time we ship a box to a subscriber we make a 50p donation to CoramBeanstalk, our charity partner which is doing so much to support children’s literacy in the UK.
- We offer 3, 6 or 12-month rolling subscriptions starting from £39.95 and you can find all our prices here.
- All prices include free UK standard postage but we also ship internationally and you can find details of the additional charges here.
- All our rolling subscriptions auto-renew at the end of each term, keeping your admin to a minimum and a steady flow of great books. You can opt to stop the renewal at any time before the payment is taken via your account page.
- You will need to choose a reading level and decide whether to add a sibling to your subscription during checkout. For Macaws there is also the option to upgrade to receiving both books each month. Here’s some more information so you can decide the right option for you:
Which reading level should I choose?
Our subscribers are divided into three reading groups and each month everyone in that group reads the same book (or one of two options for our Macaws) - just like a real book club!
You will choose a reading level at checkout but can always change this by contacting us.
Parakeets: chapter books for young readers
- Books in this category are typically between 100 and 200 pages in length with plenty of illustrations.
- Our Parakeets may be able to read these books by themselves, but we also believe that they are ideal for enjoying together.
- For guidance this category is aimed at children aged 5 to 8.
Cockatoos: chapter books for confident readers
- Books in this category are typically more than 200 pages in length with fewer illustrations.
- Our Cockatoos will probably happily read these books by themselves – but we believe you will also enjoy reading them together.
- For guidance this category is aimed at children aged 8 to 12.
Macaws: chapter books for tweens and early teens
- Books in this category are typically between over 200 pages with no illustrations.
- We pick books that we feel sit comfortably between the middle grade (usually aimed at 8 to 12-year-olds) and young adult categories. They are challenging and thought-provoking with more complex themes than most middle grade novels but without focusing too much on the teenage angst and romantic struggles common in YA books.
- For guidance this category is aimed at children aged 12 to 14.
- Read more about how and why we created this reading group here.
What's a sibling subscription?
Adding a sibling pack is the perfect option when there are two children in the same reading group within a household.
We will address every parcel to both siblings and they will receive two of everything except the book itself which can be shared.
Need more information?
If you’ve got more questions why not check out our FAQs or drop us an email.
Giving a book subscription as a gift?
Our gift subscriptions and sets make a great option (and there's no need to create an account). We also have a limited selection of individual past packs available.
Check out our gift options here.
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
an excellent present for a child who didn't want to read books without pictures - when he realised how good the books were, and that there was something to do each time as well, he really enjoyed them, and it has moved his reading experience on
We interviewd Parrot Street about a year ago, and it was fabulous! Such lovely people! We also love getting the books every month not knowing what it will be. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do, and thoroughly recommend it. ;]
During the first Covid lockdown I found this wonderful book club. It was a blessing then and remains so now. My son is thrilled to receive each book and it’s opened us up to so many new authors. It’s a brilliant way to expand your children’s reading and I’m so glad I found it.
This subscription has introduced my son to a range of books that I simply wouldn’t have discovered myself. It has taken the pressure off trying to find new books that I think will engage him, and it has introduced him to a variety of writing styles.
We love the related recipes and craft activities too. In fact, one of the recipes makes quite a regular appearance in our house now!
My grand daughter loves receiving her monthly book , especially as they introduce her to lots of different authors and ideas. A fabulous idea.